Getting Started With Email Marketing as a Small Business
Download a PDF version of this graphic here.
Thinking about email marketing? Here’s what you need to do to get started:
- Brainstorm content.
- Think about the goals you want to achieve with email marketing and what type of content will help you achieve them.
- Build an audience.
- Figure out who you want to send your content to and get emails to put on your mailing list. Put a signup form on your website and social media channels and/or use a list of previous customers. NEVER buy third party email lists.
- Segment your audience.
- Make sure the content you want to send makes sense to the intended audience. Seperate your audience into different groups and send unique content dependent on behavior and demographics.
- Set a frequency.
- Commit to an email schedule that is realistic for your team and effective for your audience. It’s important to be consistent, even if you can only do the minimum of once a month!
- Choose an email marketing service.
- There are a variety of email marketing services (Mailchimp, ActiveCampaign, etc. ) you can use. Research and see which one meets your needs and your budget.
- Write content.
- Write what you brainstormed keeping in mind the audience you want to target and the goals you’ve set. Keep emails short enough that you get your message across and users will want to read it.
- Design an email template.
- Make sure that your email is clean, readable, and represents your business. Most email services have drag and drop editors, so no graphic design knowledge is needed!
- Put it all together and send!
- After all of the hard work you’ve put into research and planning, you’re ready to put everything together and send it off into the world.
- Analyze results, tweak, repeat.
- See how your email did and tweak how your future emails will be done. You’re not always going to get it right the first time, but you can always change and try again.
Want to get started with email marketing but need some help? Contact us to learn more!
Get started with email marketing TODAY! Contact us now.
Collecting data is not only important, but necessary to become better at your marketing and business efforts. After all, you can’t improve what you don’t measure. How do you decipher the good data from the bad? What questions are you trying to answer?
Abraham Lincoln once said: “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the ax.” When running a small business or startup, preparation is key and will save you a lot of time and money. Front loading work will also allow you to have a better results in the end!
Marketing is something that small businesses and startups often put by the wayside. For most people, the task may feel overwhelming or difficult. But marketing doesn’t have to be this scary thing, especially if you take the time to understand what marketing really is.
Small businesses and startups often worry about making sure they can scale everything they are doing up, but they shouldn’t! It’s ok to take advantage of your small size to be more agile and be hyper aware of how you will delight customers.
You’ve heard of Marie Kondo’s KonMari method for decluttering your home. Did you know that you can apply the same methodology to your small business to maximize value? Instead of focusing on literal objects, you can optimize your business practices and what it has to offer.
If you’re thinking about doing email marketing for your small business, it can seem like a daunting task. We have laid out easy to follow steps for getting started with email marketing; so you can spend less time worrying and more time doing.
Owning and operating your own business brings its own set of unique challenges and obstacles that must be overcome. Here are five lessons learned about starting a small business.